Translate

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Reading Glasses

This whole time I've imagined
I might be special, different, exempt
from traditional aging. Like a dream
of youth so real, it could last forever.
A display of plastic frames with varying
strengths is before me now. Myself, in the
mirror above the display, is someone I thought
I'd best get to know. Changes are coming
and I'll need to acclimate. I wonder if the
hot flashes will strike next. I hear of them
blazing up a back, an unimaginable sensation.
But then, just a short while ago, I pondered
how objects that are near appear unfocused
when all my life it was the opposite problem.
Amazing how life unfolds, a foretelling of
what the body will and will no longer do,
as the years increase, and as who I am
slips away into who I am becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment