Translate

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Listening

She hates the messages
that imply "I am only your friend
if I can tell you all my ailments
and I won't listen to yours."

She says, one more text to ask 
how I am so she can be sicker, 
more tired, have more problems, 
and I will tell her, I swear I will tell her.

I say, do you know you be-friended
your mother? She laughs and changes 
the subject. After that, we talk about 
her new job and how she is coping with 

adjusting to very normal surroundings. 
She talks about her leg that seemingly 
lost muscle strength, and then decided 
in the same breath, "it must be from the 

antibiotic I'm taking for my infection."
Then more on the infection, ending
with what groceries she will buy.
I had my turn, began to tell her about 

my teenage daughter's emotional 
reaction to social injustice in school. 
It was very, very quiet on the other end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment