Translate

Monday, April 24, 2017

Twenty-First Century Teen

She wants to take a walk,
alone, stretch her legs, be 
independent. I ask, "How far?"
She says, "Never mind."
I'm not a helicopter parent
but the world is different now
and danger lies for those who
don't know it. 

On the walk, wearing earbuds, 
not hearing the horn, warning 
her to see someone speeding,
running a red light. Or worse, 
she doesn't hear the van, she's 
dragged into the back, door 
slams, my girl is gone. It happens
to young girls, like her, too often.
She's gotta be all eyes all the time. 

At fifteen the scope is narrow
missing so much on either side 
of the barrel. I get being free,
being young, being more than 
your parents think you are. I was 
much more than mine ever knew 
but luckily she's not like me, like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment