Translate

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Couches and Red Flags

Of course I want to believe
all the pretty ideas 
never questioning
the details of sweet talk 
when we're spooned 
on the couch
his lips on my bare neck
each kiss more believable 
than the next.
Of course I want to stop
my own story-telling 
like I'm a fact-checker
with a rebuttal column
researching each kiss and
You know I love you
even when he was 
more comfortable 
retreating to the couch 
from my bed
when the whole idea 
was to hold and be held
in just this one night
in be midst of busy lives.
Why after all this time
is he uncomfortable?
Why are small red flags
waving; me, suddenly
questioning all that is 
supposed to be true?
And why are those 
pretty ideas of us 
buckling from the 
vacant space?




No comments:

Post a Comment