Translate

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Pretty Town

I would only know this
by walking down its 
streets and roads
rounding with the curvy ones
see where they'll take me.
Porches are decorated
still with summer colors
and there's the soft sway 
of our red, white, and blue.
Vastly present is all the green
purposefully verdant 
and proud of it.
I walked two or three miles
and no matter how pretty
the siding or brick was,
how unique in color 
the doors appeared,
or the unusual geometric
shapes of what seemed a
menagerie of windows,
it was what's inside 
the houses. It's the homes. 
The people, their families, 
their relationships.
It's a pleasant normalcy 
like returning to Green Acres
I remember from from 
20 years ago.
I could have kept walking
viewing this pretty town 
but after passing 
a man snipping peaches
from his front yard tree,
white hair blowing 
in the late summer breeze,
turning and smiling
as I walked by;
this was enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment