Translate

Friday, October 20, 2017

At Home With My Pillows

Sometimes I think I’ll never make
it back to my pillow, my velveteen
blanket, my safe space.
I’m far removed, and connected 
only by the little texts my daughter 
will send, three dots displaying
on the screen, and I’m impatiently 
waiting for the reply already. 
But there is something about the 
uneven, hanging, donut-shaped 
lamps and shiny marble floors. 
Cookies and coffee in the evening
and all you can eat in the morning,
as I stick to fluffy scrambled eggs, 
sweet melon and Life cereal, 
always dry, in a bowl, perched on
my egg and fruit plate. I’m pretty 
consistent that way, but I’m known 
to have an occasional bagel with 
a thin layer of low-fat cream cheese.
So after receiving daily fresh towels 
and returning to a made bed, you 
would think I’d not be in a hurry 
to check out. But contrary to such belief, 
I am far more content in my own bed, 
my own room, hearing my three cats 
chase each other from end to end 
of the apartment, a small hiss here, 
a loud “MEOW!” there, until I 
jump from bed, uttering my first
“Hey, stop that!” and they scatter 
like blown leaves in late October.
I’m grateful for Friday’s, as I sit 
with a glass of wine, listening to 
crickets out the open windows 
three floors down. And then, 
in the distance, speeding vehicles 
tempting fate at 1130 PM on I-86.


No comments:

Post a Comment