Translate

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Not the Only One

He was busy having a beer
and couldn't talk about us. I said 
"maybe later then" and he said "sure." 
One word text glaring at me.
I knew I couldn't live with it. 
His vacant words: emotionless, 
safe; words that would inflame 
my normally placid ways.
Driving through two hours of traffic;
pulsing, blinding pain traveling 
the curve of my skull, landing at 
either temple, and all he could say 
was "sure." I could have said, I'm 
dying on the side of the road,
can you call me? And he would 
have said, "sure." There was no, 
"I'll call you soon" or "feel better."
Just a few simple, unfeigned words
that would so easily soothe, let me 
know I was not alone in the pain; 
that he cares. But his single-syllable 
replies left me angered inside, and too, 
defeated, as I accepted finally that
his capacity to care for others is 
greatly diminished by his own pain,
so, at least, he did let me know
"You're not the only one."

No comments:

Post a Comment