Translate

Monday, October 30, 2017

What Good is Freedom When Illusory?

I used to hide under the bed.
Despite my pounding heart, 
I was safe so long as I wasn’t 
discovered. I’d leave for hours, 
disappear, when cell phones 
didn’t exist. I was free until forced
to return, out of hunger, want for 
my pillow, or having circled the 
mall far into the double digits. 
I’d return to that ugly face, 
wade through another day of 
muck, waist deep, retarding my 
every step, undoing the previous 
day’s little freedoms, having 
slipped through my fingers
and back in my cell, under the 
dictator’s oppressive regime that
moves like a visit to the DMV or 
returning gifts after Christmas. 
I might too equate this regime to
adolescence and its lasting 
punishment on our hormones.
What is freedom anyway? 
A mirage? A tall tale? A story of 
hope? All, but maybe none. 
Maybe it’s all just an illusion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment